We gathered some avid cyclists from in and around Indianapolis to speak to why this city is such an amazing place for bicycling. Tune in to hear from veterans, charities, mechanics, and even a cyclist with a national following!
- A1 Cyclery — We offer a wide selection of bicycles for different people and uses. And we provide expert assistance in selecting the proper bike type and model. For example, a road bike makes little sense if your plan is to tackle dirt trails. Likewise, if you're into cruising, you certainly don't need to test ride racing rigs. You need the bike type that's right for you, and our experienced staff will listen to you and help you choose.
- The Cycle Fix — The Cycle Fix has become an on-site Bicycle repair in Indianapolis. What started out as a hobby has now become our passion and we're delighted to share it with you. We offer quality repairs wherever you want to be.
- Freewheelin Community Bikes — Freewheelin' is a 501(c)3 youth development organization that uses bicycles in many ways to capture kids' interest, engage them in activities that teach them life skills, good health habits and leadership. The heart of the program and most often the entry point is our Earn-a-Bike program in which youth who are between the ages of 10 and 18 come in and work with a teaching mentor to learn basic bike mechanic skills, along with life skills such as delayed gratification, perseverance, problem-solving, focus and accountability. When they finish the program, they have earned their own bike (which they have chosen from our collection of donated bikes and fixed up), a lock, and a helmet.
- Indy Ride Guide — This is no ordinary bike map. While most bike maps are simply a compilation of bike lanes and greenways, the INDY RIDE GUIDE goes further to evaluate the best streets to ride a bike. Based on a transportation planning algorithm called the Clark Index, this map analyzes the bikeability of major streets in our city. We calculated average daily traffic, posted speed limits, average cyclist speed, number of travel lanes, and usable bike space. Each street was then ranked according to its level of bikeability.
- Mobile Cyclist — Mobile Cyclist provides an educational and entertainment experience by producing a web-based series of episodes that follow cyclist Anthony Barr as he travels to widely known and obscure cities to share the cycling culture and communities through interviews and interactions with people in places around the world.